Thursday, February 15, 2007

Parents and Technology

This has been something I have been thinking about for a while now, even though I personally won't have to make a decision about it until I reach this stage in my life. This issue I've been thinking about is how the relationships between parents and children will change with all this introduction of new technology. I know that I spend time with my family by watching TV and Movies or playing videogames. But what i really think about is, if I decide to have kids, how will the technology at that time affect how they will grow up? I think that kids that do not watch cable or satellite television will have more active imaginations. Also I think that it could lead to them not having as many friends because they don't know everything about Spongebob Squarepants or any other kids shows. Also if cable is resricted, should video games be restricted too? I hear all these things about videogames making children more violent. Although I don't personally believe this, I think it plays at least a small factor in making kids more violent. I can be considered an avid gamer. I don't think that just because I have been playing a violent game, that I will be more violent. It just doesn't sink in with me, maybe because I'm just not violent to begin with. I've been playing video games since I was seven and I don't think it has made me more aggressive.

3 comments:

Leah's Blog said...

Tom I too often think about how technology will affect me and my children. I often think about how much technology I will allow my children to grow up with. Of course I do not want them to be technologically illiterate, but I do not believe they should play video games and watch TV all day. Like you, I want my kids to have imaginative minds. I think kids should spend more time playing outside and interacting with others instead of surrounding their lives around technology. I hope that technology does not get too out of hand that it somehow interferes with my relationship with my parents in the future or in the long run my relationship with my own children.
I’m not saying that technology is bad for children or that I never watched TV or played video games as a child. I just think that there should be a limitation put on the time spent and the amount of technology being used. There’s more to family and life than technology.

Brittany Donegan said...

Tom,
I think about this all of the time. My parents call me constantly. I actually just taught my mom how to use text messaging. For some reason, this has made us a little closer, because I can talk to her without geting annoyed with all of her questions on the phone. However, I always wonder what kinds of technologies will be available when I have children, and how will this affect them? It's strange to think that our parents got by, or even had a social life, without cell phones and instant messenger. What's next?

Rachael said...

Tom -
I think you made a good point. I have wondered the same thing. My parents both have become a lot more involved with technology since it is such a major part of our lives, and especially since I went off to college. My parents both have a screen name and I talk to them on it constantly, they both text message me and have to have the latest in all technology. It has brought us a lot closer because now we have more than 1 way to communicate to each other everyday while I'm gone, and we have more to talk about because we can talk about new technologies or text messaging or my mom will even talk to me about conversations she has on IM with my friends/friends parents who have IM too. But I wonder if I will be this "into" technology when I'm a parent. I think since we are so consumed by it at our age that it will just be natural to stay as consumed as we are now.