Sunday, March 2, 2008

Competition Should Breed Creativity

I feel that there is a high level of competition between television stations within the same coverage area. With this high level competition for ratings and advertising income, one would think that there would be a difference between stations. This is true in the most part but it always seems that there is always the same stories on each station. I was flipping between stations the other day and I went to one news station, and saw a story, yet as soon as i went to the next station, there was the same story. Although they didn't do the story the exact same way and didn't have the same video, it still upset me to see the same thing. I know that they should be covering the event, but i think that reporters and camerapeople should take a step back, look at the situation, and then think "What can I do to beat station XYZ?" I think there needs to be more creativity within news markets. My instructor always tells me to find a "nugget" and use that to relate to people and make a story interesting so people put down the remote. Without stories about people and the amazing things they do everyday, life will only be a meeting where some stuff, that no one remembers, happenens.

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Now your starting to connect some of the elements of your structured world from swimming to your efforts in capstone. How does Dr. B's Checklist for Success address the competitiveness of BC or media?